Dept of Health & Human Services (Tasmania) Employee PD Opportunity
Take advantage of a professional or personal development opportunity that provides university study covered by a HECS scholarship.
The University of Tasmania (UTAS) has recently formed an agreement with the Tasmanian Department of Health and Human Services (DHHS) to deliver professional development units and courses in a wide range of subject areas. This commitment is a collaboration to prepare and provide ongoing support and learning opportunities for all DHHS staff throughout Tasmania.
An information sheet outlining details including eligibility guidelines and how to register for the HECS Scholarship is available to download.
How do I qualify for a scholarship?
This opportunity is extended to all staff of the DHHS who:
- are employed on a continuing basis (full-time and part-time) or who are on a fixed-term contract of 12 months or more; and
- will continue to be employed by the DHHS while undertaking the HECS scholarship units;
- are eligible for a Commonwealth supported place under the HECS-HELP system (this applies to most people - see studyassist.gov.au for eligibility guidelines); and
- are not currently receiving any other UTAS HECS scholarships.
What can I enrol in?
You may choose something that relates closely to your regular employment, or you may wish to undertake something that provides you with learning opportunities in a subject area of personal interest. There are over 100 undergraduate courses and some HECS based postgraduate coursework programs to choose from within each of the University's Faculties and the Australian Maritime College.
Eligible staff will be entitled to a HECS scholarship for study of up to 25% of a full-time University load per annum. This may be made up of two 12.5% units or one 25% unit each year.
Which courses attract full HECS scholarships?
Scholarships will be available for DHHS nursing staff enrolling in some postgraduate courses available through the UTAS School of Nursing and Midwifery in 2014. Please talk to the School to find out more.
How do I enrol?
There are a number of steps to take in order to get started on your study at UTAS, and applying for the HECS scholarship, as follows:
- Decide which UTAS course you are interested in - if you are unsure, contact the UTAS Info Centre on 1300 363 864 or Course.Info@utas.edu.au for information and course advice.
- Submit your online application
- Once you have received your offer of a place at UTAS, follow the instructions provided to accept your offer and arrange to attend a Ready for Uni workshop. Here you will receive necessary information and have the opportunity to complete your enrolment for the units you will be studying
- When completing your enrolment in the UTAS eSTUDENTCENTRE you must also complete the DHHS HECS scholarship application (accessed via the 'Scholarships' option listed on the side menu). You will be required to enter your name, email address and phone number, as well as your employer name and your staff ID number. To ensure eligibility, the university will verify your name and staff ID with the DHHS.
- The scholarship deduction will appear on the fees invoice sent to you by UTAS.
Also, staff who have been away from study for a number of years should plan to attend 'Unistart', an introduction to study at UTAS. This four-day course takes place just prior to the start of each semester, and is also available online.
Need more information?
Please contact the Uni Info Centre on 1300 363 864 to discuss your options or to make an appointment with a Student Adviser. Alternatively, email Course.Info@utas.edu.au