Tasmanian Education sector professional development
Take advantage of a professional or personal development opportunity that provides university study covered by a HECS scholarship.
The University of Tasmania (UTAS) is committed to providing ongoing support and learning opportunities for eligible teaching, administrative and general staff working in education. This commitment flows through to employees with an initiative that offers HECS scholarships for university study valued at up to $2,520 per year.
An information sheet which outlines eligibility guidelines and how to register for the HECS scholarship is available to download.
How do I qualify for a scholarship?
This opportunity is extended to all teaching and non-teaching staff within the Tasmanian education sector who:
- are employed by the Department of Education (DOE), Tasmanian Catholic Education Office (TCEO) and other Catholic schools in Tasmania, TasTAFE or one of many Independent schools throughout the state; and
- are employed on a continuing basis (full-time and part-time) or who are on a fixed-term contract of 12 months or more;
- will continue to be employed within the sector while undertaking the HECS scholarship units; and are eligible for a Commonwealth supported place under the HECS-HELP system (this applies to most people - see studyassist.gov.au for eligibility guidelines); and
- are not currently receiving any other UTAS HECS scholarships.
What can I enrol in?
You may choose something that relates closely to your regular employment, or you may wish to undertake something that provides you with learning opportunities in a subject area of personal interest. There are over 100 undergraduate courses and many HECS based postgraduate coursework programs to choose from within each of the University's Faculties and Institutes.
Eligible staff will be entitled to a HECS scholarship for study of up to 25% of a full-time University load per annum, throughout 2011, 2012, 2013 and 2014. This may be made up of two 12.5% units or one 25% unit each year.
Which courses attract full HECS scholarships?
Eligible employees within the Tasmanian Education sector undertaking the Bachelor of Education (Applied Learning) or the Bachelor of Education (Professional Honours) have access to a full HECS scholarship (maximum 100% load) for 2013 and 2014. Full course details are available on Course and Unit Handbook and can be accessed through the links below.
From 2014 the following courses are being offered as full fee paying and are not eligible for a full HECS scholarship. Please see your offer letter for details on your course.
- Graduate Certificate of Education
- Master of Education
- Master of Education with Honours
- Graduate Certificate in University Learning and Teaching
- Graduate Certificate in Geographical Education
- Graduate Certificate in Science Education
How do I enrol?
There are a number of steps to take in order to get started on your study and HECS scholarship at UTAS:
- Decide which UTAS course you are interested in - if you are unsure, contact the UTAS Info Centre on 1300 363 864 or Course.Info@utas.edu.au for information and course advice.
- Submit your application online
- Once you have received your offer of a place at UTAS, follow the instructions provided to accept the offer and arrange to attend a Ready for Uni workshop. Here you will receive necessary information and have the opportunity to complete your enrolment for the units you will be studying.
- When completing your enrolment in the UTAS eSTUDENTCENTRE you must also complete the HECS scholarship application (accessed via the 'Scholarships' option listed on the side menu). You will be required to enter your name, email address and phone number, as well as your employer name and your staff ID number (to ensure eligibility, the university will verify your name and staff ID with your employer).
The scholarship deduction will appear on the fees invoice available on the eStudentCentre.
Also, staff who have been away from study for a number of years should plan to attend 'UniStart' an introduction to study at UTAS. This four-day course takes place just prior to the start of each semester, and is also available online.
Need more information?
Please contact the Uni Info Centre on 1300 363 864 to discuss your options or to make an appointment with a Student Adviser. Alternatively, email Course.Info@utas.edu.au
On-Campus Professional Development Visits
The Student Recruitment (Domestic) team run professional development sessions for senior secondary school staff across all UTAS campuses. These sessions are planned to address the existing interest areas of your staff, as well as introduce them to new and exciting disciplines at UTAS.
A typical session might involve tours of facilities, hands-on workshops, presentations by UTAS academics, and an opportunity to network and further develop relationships with UTAS staff. These sessions are a good way of learning more about the breadth of courses and the facilities at UTAS, and also an opportunity to further add to teaching staff's skill-set. To make an enquiry, please call the Uni Info Centre on 1300 363 864. (Example of a typical professional development program)